Thursday, September 27

Real World Use.

^^ I'm just wondering what people are thinking of as a career and why they decided to take Calculus... and not only that BC.

P: But I don't think many people will reply to this.

6 comments:

Hanna said...

Okay, let me start.

I want to be a graphic designer.
So I'm debating on getting a business-marketing major or an art- commercial and advertising major.

I took Calc because it was the next math course and BC because I was able to. I had no definite reason to take it. (I took it before Stats so I could keep with the people who took Algebra II at the same time as me.)

And although it does actually have to do with graphic designing (=D Like the box thingie we did today.. perhaps) sometimes I just don't understand why I need to learn some of the calculus.

Mehchel said...

I have a very undecided major still. Yikes, I know, because I'm a senior! I actually considered being a math teacher for a while, but over time Calculus is really shooting my hopes down. I truly do love algebra though, although I seem to be very rusty on it right now. :( Nothing I can't re-learn quickly though, I imagine. Math has been one of my favorite subjects since elementary school...

Other than that, I have no reason for calculus. My other choice is psychology/sociology... mostly sleep psychology I think. In which case I really should have taken Stats AP and not Calculus. I ultimately choose Calculus because I knew a lot of people in Calculus and because Calculus BC is worth more college credit, if I pass the AP test. I can only pray... $85 isn't exactly "pocket change" for me. :P

Mehchel said...

Oh, I'm considering being an editor too... My choices are all over the place! Calculus won't help much if I do that though.

Ms. Jones said...

I think that it is very important to keep as many career options open as possible. Upper level mathematics can drastically widen your future prospects. Since you have the ability, it is important that you use it! :D

Here are a few pages about careers using mathematics: http://www.maa.org/careers/
http://www.cln.org/themes/careers_math.html
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1155/is_2_43/ai_54831679
http://educ.queensu.ca/connectme/weblinks/careers.htm
http://www.math.dartmouth.edu/majors/jobs

Information Age Skeptic said...

I thought about a career in engineering or teaching. Possible majors in some form of mathematics or physics.

Anonymous said...

top [url=http://www.001casino.com/]casino games[/url] coincide the latest [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com/]online casino[/url] manumitted no deposit hand-out at the foremost [url=http://www.baywatchcasino.com/]charitable casino games
[/url].